Sunday, January 10, 2010

#1 of fifty-two in fifty-two

Following my tradition of taking on whatever New Years resolution Katie and Elliott make (Take the Stairs '08 and Less Wine '09) I decided to attempt the Lepine family's 2010 resolution of reading 52 books in 52 weeks. Honestly, I will be happy if I at least make it half way to 26 books.

#1 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith


While in Fayetteville over Christmas break, Jo took me to Dickson Street Bookshop. I browsed a list posted between the shelves of the Top 100 Audience Choice Beach Books. I'd never heard of the book and was mainly interested because I live in Brooklyn. I highly recommend it. It's good even if you're not reading on the beach. The book describes the life of a poor family living in Williamsburg at the turn of the 20th century and is from the perspective of eleven year old Francie Nolan. Here is one of my favorite quotes from Francie:

"'Dear God', she prayed, 'let me be something every minute of every hour of my life. Let me be gay; let me be sad. Let me be cold; let me be warm. Let me be hungry . . . have too much to eat. Let me be ragged or well dressed. Let me be sincere--be deceitful. Let me be truthful; let me be a liar. Let me be honorable and let me sin. Only let me be something every blessed minute. And when I sleep, let me dream all the time so that not one little piece of living is ever lost."


3 comments:

Amy said...

yay! can't wait to hear about all your books.

Katie said...

Started it this morning on the train. Thanks babe.

danajoy said...

i want to read this one. :)