Monday, February 1, 2010

#4 of 52

If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino
I purchased this book two years ago for a book club. Well, I only made it to chapter 5 before I got too busy with school and abandoned Calvino. I'm glad I gave him a second chance. It's unexpected and makes you think of the expectations you have as a reader for the writer.

" . . . the things that the novel does not say are necessarily more numerous than those it does say, and only a special halo around what is written can give the illusion that you are reading also what is unwritten."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also read this book for a book club. I think the first chapter is one of my all time favorite first chapters. I think it is also one of the strangest books I've read for a book club! All in all, I'm glad I read it.