Thursday, January 8, 2009

All my devotion, compelled by an ocean

The holidays are over. I always love being home, seeing family and friends, but feel slightly displaced. Which is odd considering I've lived in the same house my entire life. Things have changed on Misty Court though. Besides my mom entirely redecorating the house, Missy is getting married. Kat is getting married. Katie might be moving to Dallas. At least my room still looks exactly the same, just collecting dust.

My mom always tells me, "the only thing certain in life is change." It's easy to say, but hard to accept. People are constantly in motion. Human beings aren't stagnant. We make choices, have desires, needs, ambitions, and goals that keep us working toward something better. 

As for me, I'm moving toward my career and being independent. I will be a college graduate this spring and cut off financially from my parents. And, as Katie Walker pointed out, I'm lucky to have a job lined up considering unemployment rates are at an all time high. I'll spend the summer in Quogue, West Hampton, be a full time nanny, and figure out where the hell I want to go to graduate school. But in order to get there, I have to survive my last semester at Kings. 12 hours of class. 8 hours as an intern. 20 hours of work. Every week. I won't have a social life unfortunately, but we all have to make sacrifices in order to get what we want. I'll be forced to appreciate quality time with good friends. I'm fairly certain I could live anywhere in the world as long as I have good friends to experience life and empathize with me.  

So we'll work until the night is quite
what once all our dreams were like;
doing all the housework,
returning all the schoolbooks, for good

Let's go on pretending that the light is never ending
we still have the summers
to be good to one another, yay hey

-All the Years by Beach House

2 comments:

Katie said...

I just feel like you're all grown up.

Juliebeans said...

tevs.