Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chronologically Speaking

Two days ago I had an epiphany and it struck me as odd that I had never done this before. I decided I should listen to all of Sufjan Stevens albums chronologically from start to finish. It's like a marathon of listening. I have a bad habit of listening to a new album once through and then deciding what songs are my favorite and adding that to a playlist on my iPod. But, that's not fair. That's selling myself short and the musician. I'm stunting my own appreciation for beauty and ignoring creative genius based on first impressions. Maybe I'm getting too cerebral over music, but I wanted to share my thoughts. So over the next few days, my ears are only listening to the following and in this particular order:

A Sun Came
Enjoy Your Rabbit
Michigan
Seven Swans
Illinois
The Avalanche
Songs for Christmas
The BQE

And luckily, on December 8th, Sufjan comes out with a new album, Music for Insomnia, which will fit nicely into my plan.

2 comments:

Katie said...

It's a good thing Sufjan isn't doing your accounting.

Kristin said...

Hah! When Julie told me that story, it was pretty much the best thing I had ever heard. Amazing.